By Charles L. Crow
- Revised and increased to include feedback from twelve years of use in lots of countries
- An very important textual content for college students of the increasing box of Gothic studies
- Strong illustration of lady Gothic, barren region Gothic, the Gothic of race, and the legacy of Salem witchcraft
- Edited via a founding member of the overseas Gothic Association
Read or Download American Gothic: An Anthology from Salem Witchcraft to H. P. Lovecraft (Blackwell Anthologies) PDF
Similar literary gothic & romantic criticism books
This booklet surveys and translates the masses of satirical poems and prose narratives released in Britain throughout the Romantic interval. even though satire was once a huge style with a large readership, such works were mostly missed via literary students, happy that satire disappeared within the past due eighteenth century.
For greater than 1000 years, the adventures of King Arthur and his Knights of the around desk were retold throughout Europe. they've got encouraged the most vital works of eu literature, fairly within the medieval interval: the romances of Chrétien de Troyes, Wolfram von Eschenbach's Parzival, Sir Gawain and the golf green Knight and Malory's Le Morte d'Arthur.
Eighteenth-century England witnessed significant social and fiscal adjustments, together with the commodification of estate, individual and textual content via felony containments—enclosure, coverture, primogeniture, copyright. English Gothic authors answered with tropes that labored to dispel the assurances of possession—the contested citadel, the beleaguered but enduring lady, the haunting ghost, the disjointed narrative—warning that probably mundane codes of possession have menacing implications, corresponding to the civil loss of life of girls via marriage.
This examine of Franz Schubert's settings of poetry via Friedrich Schlegel and Novalis introduces the interesting global of early German Romanticism within the 1790s, whilst an lively staff of daring younger thinkers greatly replaced the panorama of ecu idea. Schubert's encounters with early Romantic poetry a few 20 years later reanimated a few of the movement's primary principles.
- In Praise of Nonsense: Kant and Bluebeard (Meridian: Crossing Aesthetics)
- Gothic Passages: Racial Ambiguity and the American Gothic
- Sexual Enjoyment in British Romanticism: Gender and Psychoanalysis, 1753-1835
- Writing Wales, from the Renaissance to Romanticism
Additional resources for American Gothic: An Anthology from Salem Witchcraft to H. P. Lovecraft (Blackwell Anthologies)
American Gothic: An Anthology from Salem Witchcraft to H. P. Lovecraft (Blackwell Anthologies) by Charles L. Crow