By Joel Faflak,Julia M. Wright
- Focuses on British Romanticism whereas additionally addressing continental and transatlantic Romanticism and past periods
- Utilizes key terms akin to mind's eye, elegant, poetics, philosophy, race, historiography, and visible tradition as issues of entry to the research of Romanticism and the theoretical matters and the tradition of the period
- Explores subject matters imperative to Romanticism stories and the serious traits of the final thirty years
Read Online or Download A Handbook of Romanticism Studies (Critical Theory Handbooks) PDF
Similar literary gothic & romantic criticism books
This ebook surveys and translates the loads of satirical poems and prose narratives released in Britain through the Romantic interval. even if satire used to be a big style with a large readership, such works were principally missed through literary students, happy that satire disappeared within the overdue eighteenth century.
For greater than 1000 years, the adventures of King Arthur and his Knights of the around desk were retold throughout Europe. they've got encouraged essentially the most very important works of ecu literature, really within the medieval interval: the romances of Chrétien de Troyes, Wolfram von Eschenbach's Parzival, Sir Gawain and the fairway Knight and Malory's Le Morte d'Arthur.
Eighteenth-century England witnessed significant social and monetary alterations, together with the commodification of estate, individual and textual content via felony containments—enclosure, coverture, primogeniture, copyright. English Gothic authors spoke back with tropes that labored to dispel the assurances of possession—the contested fortress, the beleaguered but enduring lady, the haunting ghost, the disjointed narrative—warning that probably mundane codes of possession have menacing implications, similar to the civil loss of life of ladies via marriage.
This learn of Franz Schubert's settings of poetry through Friedrich Schlegel and Novalis introduces the interesting international of early German Romanticism within the 1790s, whilst an lively crew of daring younger thinkers noticeably replaced the panorama of ecu concept. Schubert's encounters with early Romantic poetry a few 20 years later reanimated the various movement's important principles.
- Romanticism and the Rise of English
- Staging Romantic Chameleons and Imposters (Nineteenth-Century Major Lives and Letters)
- Disorders of Magnitude: A Survey of Dark Fantasy (Studies in Supernatural Literature)
- Romanticism and Slave Narratives: Transatlantic Testimonies (Cambridge Studies in Romanticism)
Additional resources for A Handbook of Romanticism Studies (Critical Theory Handbooks)
A Handbook of Romanticism Studies (Critical Theory Handbooks) by Joel Faflak,Julia M. Wright